Viva Mexico

Jonesing for Mexican food I decided to experiment with one of my past recipes and create something new. For those of you who remember my Mexican Lasagna this is a similar flavor profile but I think this one is even better. It's my new favorite casserole. I hope you enjoy it.


Shelly's Tortilla-less Enchilada Casserole

2 boneless skinless Chicken Breasts, boiled and chopped (or leftover rotisserie)
1 teaspoon Southwest Seasoning (cumin, oregano, cayenne)
1/2 cup Corn kernels (I used leftover frozen, cooked)
1 Cup Mexican Blend Cheese, divided use
1 yellow Onion, chopped
2 green Onions, chopped
8 medium Mushrooms, sliced
1 - 4 oz. can whole Mild Green Chilis, seeded and chopped (I used the Ortega brand)
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Tablespoon Butter
3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter, saute onions and mushrooms till golden. Divide into 1/2 and set 1/2 a side. To the 1/2 onions/mushroom mixture remaining in the pan add flour, and stir well. Add broth, cook till thickened. Stir in sour cream. Set aside.

Mix the shredded cooked chicken, the 1/2 onions & mushroom mixture, corn, mild green chilis, the seasoning and 1/2 cup of Mexican shredded cheese together. Pour chicken mixture into a casserole. Pour sauce over top and sprinkle with the other 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes till golden and bubbly.

Edited to add: If you aren't allowed corn replace with black beans (canned, drained) or peas or just eliminate.



If you are looking for more weight loss surgery friendly Mexican dishes follow the Mexican Lasagna link above. This 1/2 Sicilian, 1/2 British girl has a special affinity for all things Mexican since going down to Mexico for my RNY and now my plastic surgery has given me a second chance at life.