Chili Relleno Casserole

I love Chili Rellenos but stuffing a pepper full of cheese, dipping it in batter and deep frying it just doesn't seem weight loss surgery friendly. A little square of this is a much better alternative for getting your Mexican food fix.

I guess I am getting into the Mexico mode. My surgery is next week. I'm bringing my laptop and digital camera so if I'm up to it I'll give you guys a report from South of the Border. The hotel I'm staying at has the best Tortilla Soup. I'm going to try and get to be pals with someone in the know and find out the secret ;) wish me luck.

Low Carb Bariatric Surgery Weight Loss Diabetic Friendly Recipes Cooking Blog
Shelly's Chili Relleno Casserole with Chicken

1-7 oz. can Mild Green Chilis, (I buy the whole & dice myself, less seeds)
1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onion, diced
8 Chicken Breast Tenders, cubed
1 cup Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
1/4 cup Pancake Mix (I use Arrowhead Mills Multigrain Pancake Mix)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Milk
Butter/Oil

Toppings:
Sour Cream (or Fage Greek yogurt with Taco Seasoning sprinkled in it)
Salsa
Sliced Avocado
Hot Sauce

Remove seeds from peppers, dice. Don't buy the already diced they are full of seeds. Set aside. Saute onions till golden in butter/oil. Set aside. Saute chicken till golden. Add onions and green chilis to chicken. Mix pancake mix, salt, and baking powder in small bowl. Add egg and milk to make a batter.

Grease casserole dish. Layer 1/2 chicken & veggies, 1/2 the cheese and 1/2 the batter mixture. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until golden and knife inserted comes out clean. Serve topped with sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado and hot sauce.


More Eggface Mexican favorites:

Shelly's Crock Pot Carnitas
Shelly's Mexican Lasagna