Ladies who lunch

Went to Nordstrom's Cafe the other day and had a yummy salad. I came home and recreated it.

This would be great for lunch with any of my "Bites" aka crustless quiches. A very girly girl meal. Save this one for a Mom visit or lunch with your girlfriends. Don't feed this one to the guys. Most guys just don't get putting apples and goat cheese in a salad. If they do, start asking questions.


Shelly's Chicken, Apple & Goat Cheese Salad

Mixed Greens
Roasted Chicken Breast, chopped (I used a store bought rotisserie)
Goat Cheese, crumbled
Green Apple, sliced
Red Onion, sliced
Apple Chips
Sliced Almonds
Store bought Champagne Vinaigrette

Toss first 5 ingredients together. Top with almonds, apple chips, and desired amount of vinaigrette.

You can buy the apple chips but I made my own. I know... how flippin' Martha Stewart of me?! Remember I suffer from insomnia and am always looking for 3 AM projects.

Shelly's Baked Apple Chips

1-2 Apples, cored, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup Unsweetened Apple Juice
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 250. Pour unsweetened apple juice into a pot. Add cinnamon and bring to a boil. Use a sharp knife or mandolin slicer to slice apple into 1/4 inch slices. Add to boiling apple juice. Return to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Lift apple slices out of apple juice with a large slotted spoon. Place slices on paper towels to absorb excess juice and pat dry. Spread slices into a single layer on wire cooling rack.

Bake 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven when slices are golden brown. Cool. Store any leftovers in an airtight container. These would be great as a topping on Sugar Free Torani sweetened Fage yogurt.


Highlights of the day:

* Farmer's Market. My haul: Baby Asparagus, Baby Eggplant (gonna roast them and make a dip I think), Red & Yellow Onions, Mushrooms, Garlic, Raspberries (5 Minute Chocolate Cake with a Raspberry Sauce maybe), Mixed Greens, Pluots, tons of Apples (so many varieties I love the Fall), My Mum's Bread.

* Took a long walk tonight. Just me and my iPod. Contemplating life. Good tunes. Crisp Fall weather. No cosmic answers were discovered but it was still nice.

* When the drugs kicked in. Cramps from hell. Ovaries in a vice grip. Not a happy girl. Finally gave in and took something.

Listening to: "Innocent" David Cook