Second Day Soup

This is called Second Day Soup because you make it one day, put it in the fridge and reheat it the next day. The soup ingredients get a chance to love on one another all night and it becomes something awesome. I know it's hard to wait a day but I'm telling you overnight it becomes a very different soup and sooooo worth it.


Shelly's Second Day Soup

5 ounces Chorizo Sausage, casing removed
1 Yellow Onion, diced
2 stalks of Celery, diced
4 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 can (15 oz.) Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) Italian Style Chopped Tomatoes w/ Juice
2 cups Chicken Broth
2 cups Vegetable Juice (I use Knudsen Very Veggie)
1/4 cup White Wine
1/4 cup Italian Parsley, chopped
4 oz. Baby Spinach Leaves
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Shredded Cheese
Sour Cream or Fage Greek Yogurt

Crumble the chorizo in a large soup pot with a lid. Cook for about five minutes. Add the onions and celery and cook for about ten minutes. Add the garlic, chickpeas and beans. Cook all together for a minute. Add the tomatoes, broth, juice and white wine and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add the parsley and spinach. Simmer for an hour with the lid on. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool and refrigerate till the next day. Take it out of the fridge and reheat. Serve with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream or Fage Greek Yogurt.

Here's some more Eggface favorite soups.


Highlights of the Day:

* There's nothing quite as comforting as a bowl of soup on a rainy day.

* Laughing over nothing. So my Mum and I literally laughed so hard yesterday we held our sides. Today I said to her because for the life of me I couldn't remember, "What was so funny yesterday?" and ha she couldn't remember either which made us both laugh again. I'm thinking it's Ginkgo Biloba time.

* Insight into my thought process...

When I win the lottery I'm going to get a heated toilet seat.
Ooooh yeah.
A heated toilet seat.
Nicccccce.
Hmmm.
But.
Errr.
What if it malfunctions, overheats and brands a bright red oval on my ass.
OK. Maybe not.


You'll never guess where this internal brainstorming session occurred?


Listening to: "Absolute" The Fray.