Happy Endings

I had planned on making my Grilled Veggie Lasagna but forgot to pick up a key ingredient at the store. "Nahhh I don't need to write it down I'll remember." Ha. Sure. So I improvised with what I had on hand. I lucked out. It turned out super yummy.

I heart happy endings.


Shelly's Red, White & Green "Italian Flag" Lasagna

6-8 Grilled Zucchini & Summer Squash, sliced
1/4 cup storebought Alfredo Sauce (Bertolli, Buitoni, Contadina)
1/2 cup storebought Bruschetta Sauce (in the fresh pasta section) or sub Canned Chopped Italian Style Tomatoes, drained
3-4 leaves of Fresh Basil, torn
1/4 cup Pesto Sauce (storebought or homemade)
8 oz. ball of Fresh Mozzarella, sliced

Slice the zucchini (or squash) lengthwise, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings. I use Konriko Greek Seasoning (an Italian seasoning would be great too.) Grill the zucchini on the BBQ (or indoor grill) till bendy and tender.

Layer 1/3 in the bottom of a Pyrex casserole dish. Spoon Alfredo sauce on top, then 1/2 the Bruschetta sauce, 1/2 the mozzarella, and the basil.

Add another layer of squash.

Spoon Pesto sauce on top, the remaining Bruschetta sauce, the other 1/2 of the mozzarella. I hold back a few pieces for the top.

Add remaining 1/3 of squash and top with any leftover pieces of mozzarella.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden. Allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.


You could add meat if you want. Sauteed ground turkey or beef would be a great added layer but it was very satisfying without and definitely would be a great dinner if you were having vegetarian friends over.

More Grilled Zucchini yumminess:
Shelly's Grilled Veggie Lasagna (meat version)
Shelly's Zucchini Roll-ups (aka Pasta-less Manicotti)
My Italian Bento
Shelly's Grilled Zucchini Quesadilla
Shelly's Grilled Veggie Lasagna (meatless version)


For dessert...

I used the new Chocolate Mint flavor of Max Protein Powder to make this yummy ice cream finish to my Italian dinner. It was just like an after dinner mint. Another happy ending.

There's still time to get 20% off your purchase of Max Protein. Here's the 411 on the deal.


Shelly's Chocolate Mint Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops of Chocolate Mint Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
Optional: 2 Sugar Free Andes Mints, chopped (found them at CVS)
Optional: 4 Sugar Free Chocolate Mint Cookies, crushed

Mix together milk, protein, and syrup. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. If you don't have one just toss it in a blender on super high. You want it fluffy almost double in size. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add optional candy and cookie bits. You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour.