Stellar Snack

Thought I'd share one of my favorite snacks. I know some schools went back yesterday from summer vacation and this makes a great after school snack that both kids and adults love.


Shelly's Open Faced Apple Sandwiches

You need:
Apples
Knife
Lemon

Variety of Toppings:
Peanut Butter *
Almond Butter (or another Nut Butter)
Ricotta Cheese
Sugar Free Jam/Jelly *
Granola (I used my Semi Homemade Granola, see below) *
Unsweetened Coconut
Powdered Peanut Butter
Protein Powder
Crumbled Protein Bar
Banana Slices
Raisins
Cherries
Grapes
Crushed Nuts
Sugar Free Chocolate or Caramel Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup

Slice apples crosswise (if you are making it for you and some whippersnappers be sure to tell them the Apple Star Story as you cut the apple.)

Rub with lemon to prevent browning.

Spread with peanut butter (or one of the other sticky suggestions) and sprinkle with toppings. Mine are the starred * items.

I made 3: a plain peanut butter, a PB&J with peanut butter and Smucker's Simply Fruit Strawberry and a peanut butter topped with some of my semi homemade granola. They are pretty filling. I cut them in 1/2 and shared them.


My food dehydrator was working overtime this weekend. I dried Kale into Kale Chips, Pineapple, Figs, Cherries, Peaches, Strawberries, Bananas. I used some of the yummy dried fruits I made to make a very uninteresting bag of No Sugar Added Granola super interesting.


My Semi Homemade Granola

Shelly's Semi Homemade Granola

1 cup No Sugar Added Granola
1/4 cup Dried Fruits (I used strawberries, figs, cranberries, cherries, unsweetened banana chips)
dash of Cinnamon

Mix till combined. Store in a sealed container. Great on my Open Faced Apple Sandwiches, in a bowl with a splash of milk or soy milk, as a topping for Protein Ice Cream or Yogurt.