A day in my pouch

Breakfast: Jamba Juice has their $1 Oatmeal deal back (Wednesday's only - for a limited time) and since the rain lifted a bit in the AM yesterday I got some outdoor exercise in then went and had a bowl of their yummy steel-cut oats with sliced banana on top (ask for no brown sugar)

If you don't have a Jamba near you. Try my Banana Walnut Oatmeal. It's a little more work then just placing an order but super yummy.

Lunch: BBQ'd Scampi Skewers on a bed of baby spinach and roasted veggies with a lemon vinaigrette. I barely made it... as I brought the shrimp in from the BBQ the heavens opened again and it began to pour. Day 4 of this. Ark building has commenced. Send critters.

Dinner: Rainy, cold, gray = time to make soup. This is sooooo good. Seriously tastes like a Philly cheese steak sandwich.


Shelly's Philly Cheesesteak Soup

1 Maui Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
3-4 Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 lb. (about 4 slices) Roast Beef, chopped (I used Boar's Head Low Sodium)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
1 (15 oz.) can Chicken Broth
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Olive Oil for sauteing

Saute onions on a low heat till golden. You want to caramelize them versus brown them. Add mushrooms cook till golden. Add beef, Worcestershire, garlic, seasonings. Make a well in the center of the pot and add butter and pancake mix. Cook 1 minute. Slowly pour broth and milk in. Add cheese. Simmer on low till soup bubbles and thickens, stirring occasionally.

Snacks: Roasted Chickpeas and 2 scoops of Protein Ice Cream eaten under 2 throw blankets curled up on the couch watching some Food Network BBQ competition. I always get sucked into those.


Listening to: The rain, the heater kicking on, random noise my PC is making, and that 80's song "Breakout" by Swing Out Sister which has been stuck in my flippin' head for 2 days since I heard it playing at the supermarket. Thinking I may need a musical exorcism. Calling the Vatican later today.