Mangia! Stuffed Zucchini Gondolas

These are soooo good and a perfect use for the summer onslaught of zucchini. The first time I ever planted zucchini I thought I'll plant 6 plants because I love zucchini and I want to be sure to have plenty all summer long. OMG?! I had enough zucchini to feed a small country. I was giving them to everyone and anyone that smiled at me. I even participated in "Sneak Some Zucchini on your Neighbor's Porch Day." Oh umm yeah... errr... sorry that was me. I haven't been planting them the last couple of years. I get my supply from the Farmer's Market or random people I smile at ;)

I had this for lunch on its own but it would be great for dinner with a little green salad on the side, it would be super on a brunch buffet (still tastes awesome at room temperature or cold and looks festive), leftovers are delicious with eggs for breakfast.

Shelly's Stuffed Zucchini Gondolas

3 medium Zucchini (8" or so), makes 6 halves
1/2 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup Ham, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
a few twists of Black Pepper
dash Kosher Salt
12 small Fresh Mozzarella Balls
24 or so Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Parmesan, grated

Preheat oven to 425. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise place in a Pyrex dish that has been oiled lightly (or sprayed with Pam.) Using a spoon, carefully scoop out the flesh from the centers of the zucchini. Forming 6 zucchini "boats."

Chop the zucchini flesh and set aside. Saute onions till golden. Add flesh from zucchini middles and ham. Saute till moisture is gone about 4 minutes. Add seasonings. Mix.

Spoon mixture into hollowed out zucchini. Place mozzarella balls and tomatoes (fresh picked from my crazy big plants) on top.

Sprinkle with Parmesan.

Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes then uncovered for 15.

You can vary the dish by using cooked chicken, beef, turkey, sausage. It's a great way to use leftover meat. I love the flavor combination of ham, cheese, tomatoes, and onions. Yum!

Other Eggface Zucchini Yumminess:

Shelly's Zucchini Pancakes
Shelly's Zucchini Roll-ups (aka Pasta-less Manicotti)
Shelly's Sun-Dried Tomato & Artichoke Chicken
Shelly's Stuffed Zucchini (Zucchini Ripieni)
Shelly's Zucchini Bites
Shelly's Zucchini Weenies
Shelly's Beef & Zucchini Casserole
Shelly's Sweet Zucchini Pancakes
Shelly's Pesto Chicken & Veggies
Shelly's Squash Artichoke Pesto Bake
Shelly's Mexican Beef & Bean Bake