Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world.

Breakfast: I took off to the Farmer's Market without having breakfast (bad I know) I did grab a latte at Starbucks. Not sure who Mychelle is but her Grande, 3 pump Sugar Free Vanilla, No Foam, Soy Latte was tasty ;)


My Farmer's Market haul: Onions (Red, Sweet Maui and Green), Garlic, Tomatoes, Avocado, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Peas, a few Persian Cucumbers and these beautiful Berries...

Southern California Farmers Markets Fruit Blueberries Strawberries Raspberries

They will make great breakfasts this week: a few Greek Yogurt parfaits, in a few protein shakes and topping for oatmeal.

7 Protein Packed Grab and Go Breakfast Ideas

Lunch: I made a batch of my Quinoa Burgers. These heat up great and will make a quick and easy breakfast, lunch or dinner this week. To reheat: I nuke them for a minute and usually top with a slice of cheese and broil it till it's golden and bubbly.

Low Carb Meatless Monday Recipes

I had one for lunch with a little Tomato and Cucumber Salad with a sprinkle of Parmesan, black pepper, and oregano and a dollop of Green Onion Parmesan Greek Yogurt Dip.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Recipes Healthy

I sat outside and grilled a bunch of chicken, some for dinner and some for Sunday or Monday meals. I admired my really great purchase. Last year, I bought this cactus for $1 at the Farmer's Market and look at it now...


Dinner: I bought a small cauliflower at the market this morning I was going to make Cauliflower Pie later on in the week but it was a little too small for that but the perfect size for making Riceless Fried "Rice."

Low Carb Asian Dinners Bariatric Surgery Weight Loss Fitness Heath Nutrition

Shelly's Cauliflower Chicken Fried Riceless "Rice"

1 small head of Cauliflower
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
2 Eggs, cooked, scrambled
1/3 cup-ish Cooked Peas
2 Green Onions, diced fine
1 cup Grilled Chicken, chopped
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Rice Wine Vinegar
dash of Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Saute yellow onion till golden. Set aside. Break up the cauliflower into small florets. Pulse the florets in a food processor until reduced to the size of rice grains (about 2 cups worth after whizzing.) Place in a saute pan with a drizzle of olive oil and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, the cauliflower will become slightly golden when it's done. Add onions, cooked egg, grilled chicken, and all remaining ingredients. Cook till warmed through. This serves 3-4 people. I used peas because I had leftovers but sometimes I use bean sprouts or green beans, anything you have on hand or a combo.

Low Carb Recipes

Cooks Note: If you have a Trader Joe's around you might want to look for pre- riced cauliflower (in fresh and frozen), Green Giant makes one (fresh) as well. I have see it at Super Targets.

Check out an Italian very similar dish I make.

Snacks: Too much coffee as usual and as I grilled the chicken for dinner I sampled this Coco Libre Protein Coconut Water. The other day I spotted this at my local health food store (Organic Roots for the locals reading) and tossed it in my basket.


I tried the Almond flavor, it also come in Vanilla and Chocolate. 140 calories, 20 grams of protein, no added sugar, 22 vitamins and minerals. It might be a few too many carbs for the early post-ops, so remember when it doubt always ask your medical team. I would think it would be a winner for the post-op runners... coconut water is full of electrolytes. Verdict: It's really tasty. I'd get it again. It's nice to have a few Ready to Drink Protein Shakes in the fridge especially when the summer heatwaves hit or in cooler on a road trip. Quick protein with no effort.

More days in my pouch.