You Say Tomato, I Say Tomato Recipes

Last week I found out I was the winner of an Instagram contest held by Windset Farms and California Grown. Big THANK YOU! Oodles of gorgeous California grown veggies arrived on my doorstep: Concerto Grape Tomatoes, Tomatoes on the Vine, Campari Tomatoes, Symphony Tomato Ensemble, Roma Tomatoes, Fresco Seedless Cucumbers and Fresco Cocktail Cukes! Cucumbers are my post weight loss surgery cracker replacement and I love tomatoes (Hello?! 1/2 Sicilian) so it really was the perfect prize for me to win.

Recipes Tomato Healthy

You should go follow them on Instagram @windsetfarms and @CAgrownofficial to get in on their next giveaway tell them @theworldaccordingtoeggface sent you over. Be sure to follow me I do some fun Instagram giveaways from time to time too.

Needless to say I've been making A LOT of recipes with tomatoes this past week. I took the Roma tomatoes and made a big pot of Chili for dinner the very first night, 1/2 of which is in the freezer and will make for an easy dinner next week. I made a few salads, a few bento box lunches, invited neighbors to have a taste and I even broke out my dehydrator and dried some. This morning I turned the dried tomatoes into a crazy good pesto I plan to use in recipes this week... thinking about mixing some into one of my mini meatloaf recipes. Will post the results.

Here's a few of my favorites uses from last week...

Healthy Italian Low Carb Side Dish Recipes

Shelly's Pizza Tomatoes

Sliced Tomatoes
Shredded Italian Blend Cheese
Grated Parmesan
a sprinkle of Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
a dash of Oregano

Slice the tomatoes, top with a Tablespoon of shredded cheese, sprinkle seasonings and Parmesan. Broil till bubbly and slightly golden.

Healthy Italian Dinner Recipes

I served them as a side with Egg Bites (crustless quiches) and another day with grilled fish. Delicious and easy side dish I will make often. I think I might put a slice of pepperoni on top next time.

5 Healthy Pizza Snacks

Along the same lines as the above one afternoon I made low carb, breadless Tuna Melts...

Low Carb Protein Healthy Recipes

Shelly's Breadless Tuna Melts (Tuna Salad topped Tomatoes)

Sliced Tomatoes
Tuna Salad
Sliced Cheese

Make your tuna salad however you like it. Mine: Lemon Pepper seasoned tuna with chopped green onion and chopped cucumber, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, salt & pepper to taste.


Top the sliced tomatoes. Top with sliced cheese. Broil till melty and bubbly. About 3 minutes.

More Eggface Healthy Salads

Some of my winnings showed up in some Bento Box Lunches like this one...

Bariatric Surgery Weight Loss Fitness Protein Low Carb Menus

Pink Box (top left): Ham and Cucumber "Sandwiches" with Mustard
Green Box (top right): Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pecan Quest Protein Bar "Cookies"
Blue Box (bottom left): Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with a dash of Oregano & drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar
Orange Box (bottom right): Mango


More Bento Box lunches, FAQ's and an Online Source for them
My Bento Pinterest Page (Tons of Lunch Ideas) 

Some became part of one of my favorite things to do Tidbit Parties: protein packed snacks, fresh air, good conversation and laughs with family and friends.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Food Menus

Pictured above: Fresh Mozzarella, Cucumber Spears, Tomatoes, Shelly's Parmesan Yogurt Dip (1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, a Tablespoon grated Parmesan, a sprinkle of oregano, salt and pepper to taste.)

More Eggface Healthy Party Foods

and my Pesto project...

Healthy Recipes Italian Food

Shelly's Tomato Pesto

1/2 cup Dried Tomatoes (not oil packed)
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan
2 Tablespoons Walnuts
a couple of cloves of Garlic
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and a few twists of Black Pepper to taste

Pulse all ingredients in a mini food processor till desired consistency. You can replace walnuts with pine nuts (they are $$$ though) or almonds. It'll stay for a week in the fridge or freeze in ice cube trays. Mix in Greek yogurt for a dip or dressing. Spread on fish or chicken before baking. Mix in recipes. Spread on a tortilla pizza instead of sauce. Mixed in chicken, tuna, bean or egg salad. Mix in soup. Endless uses.

I was determined to use every last one of those delicious tomatoes. Hope the above gives you a few ideas.